The Best Student Life. Bristol SU

Keeping your Members Safe

Risk Assessments

For all non-regular activities and events that are not covered by your annual risk assessment (submitted during re-affiliation), you will need to complete a one-off risk assessment. Please read through our guidance notes before filling out one of our templates.

The annual risk assessment template should be completed each year as a part of re-affiliation.

The one-off risk assessment template should be used for any events with activities that are not covered in your annual assessment.

Email completed risk assessments to the Student Services Team on Please note that you may be asked to re-do them if they are not suitable for your event or filled out properly.


Trips – Leaving Bristol

It is now mandatory to register every time your group leaves Bristol even if it is only for a few hours. All trips, excursions, and sports fixtures can be registered using the below form.

As a group leader you have a responsibility for the safety of your members, as well as your own. When organising a trip remember the following:

  • Plan your itinerary and book your transport, accommodation etc well in advance
  • Nominate a Trip Organiser
  • Keep members informed
  • Create a budget and remember to include transport, accommodation, entrance fees, food and any other expenses.  Ensure what you charge covers all your costs and don't assume you'll sell all the trip places
  • Manage the risks – carry out risk assessments for the trip.  Remember, the trip includes the journey to and from the place you're visiting
  • Ensure you have the names and contact details of all the trip participants (for track and trace)
  • Know what to do in case of an emergency (see below)
  • Seek advice from Bristol SU if you need it

If you're in any doubt about what to do, please get in touch.

Register Your Trip

If you need advice or help please get in touch with us:


Incident Reporting

At the time of the accident or incident please report it to the appropriate officials e.g. sports venue staff, event organisers etc.

Please report the accident/incident to the Student Services Team within 24 hours or as soon as is practicable.


Serious accident or incident and emergencies

In the event of any serious accident or incident which involves the Emergency Services, or which could involve media attention, please follow this procedure:

  • Ensure the safety of yourself then the group.  
  • Call the Emergency Services if necessary and ensure before you call that you are able to explain exactly where you are. You will also need to give them your name, the number from which you are ringing and a brief summary of the incident including possible injuries and the number of injured.  Where possible treat any casualties if it is safe to do so. 
  • Contact University Security (see below) as soon as possible.   
  • Do not make any statement to the media other than “no comment”. DO NOT discuss any aspect of the incident with anyone who is not connected with the emergency services.  

It is the responsibility of the trip leader and vehicle driver to ensure that all participants are aware of the actions to take in the event of an emergency.

First Aid during COVID-19 

For the most up  to date guidance on administering first aid during the coronavirus pandemic please visit the HSE website.


Reporting to University Security

University Security operate 24 hours a day 365 days a year. If  the accident/incident is serious, or an emergency, it must be reported immediately to University Security on 0117 331 1223. Inform security of the following information:

  • Your name and where you are calling from
  • The name of the student group involved
  • A brief description of the incident – where, what, how
  • The name(s) and numbers of students involved in the accident/incident
  • The name of the hospital where any casualties have been taken
  • The name and number of any police officers in attendance


Serious accident or incident and emergencies.

For information on personal injury, public liability and contents insurance take a look at our handy Student Group Insurance Guidance document


Travel Insurance

If your student group is going abroad, please ensure your members are aware that Bristol SU does not provide travel insurance. They will need to arrange this themselves.

If travelling within the EU (plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), you can get free or reduced-cost emergency treatment with a European Health Insurance Card.

However, this will not cover the cost of getting you home after an accident, or insure your possessions, so you and your members will still need to take out travel insurance.



DBS Checks

DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks are required for some roles involving work or volunteering with children or vulnerable adults. Please have a look at our DBS guidance to find out more.