Image of Wills Memorial Building

If You Are the Victim of Crime

If you are the victim of crime, we strongly recommend that you report this to the police as soon as possible. If you are burgled, your insurance company will require a crime reference number (which you will get when you report the break-in to the police) before they can process your claim. If a crime is still being committed, or you need an urgent response, you should dial 999. However, if you don’t need urgent assistance, you can now report crimes to the Avon and Somerset police online. You can also report non-urgent matters to the police by dialling 101.

The Police have certain duties towards victims of crime, including the way in which they keep victims updated on their progress. If you would like more information on those duties, the Government guidelines can be found here.

If you have been affected by crime, or would like help coping with the consequences of crime, there is support available. The Just Ask advisers can offer practical advice and support such as helping you with police correspondence or with speaking to your landlord about security. The University’s counselling service provide a free, confidential service and can offer counselling support in a variety of formats. Victim Support can also assist victims of crime, and also their friends and family. You don’t need to have reported a crime to the police to contact Victim Support.

If you need to report a racist incident or crime, SARI (Support Against Racist Incidents) can support and empower victims of racial attacks and harassment. Please see the SARI website for further details  and to report an incident.

More specific advice for students who have experienced personal attacks or abuse can be found in the personal safety section of our website.